We discovered this interesting article on the history of the London Corn Exchange – its from the book London – Volume 3 published in 1824 by Sholto and Reuben Percy – Brothers of the Benedictine Monastery.
London Corn Exchange
The business of a corn-broker is one of modern growth and doubtful utility. Formerly the farmers of Kent and Essex used to send their grain up the river, and attend a sort of market at Bear Quay; but, about the middle of the last century, when grain was cheap, the farmers often returned home without selling their grain. Those from Essex chiefly used the Bull Inn, Whitechapel; and the landlord, who was of an enterprising spirit, proposed that the samples, with the prices, should be left with him, in order that he might try to dispose of the grain in their absence. This man, whose name was Johnson, and who was originally the “Boots” of the inn, soon got so much business in this way, that he opened an office at Bear Quay as a corn-factor, and amassed a fortune.
The business of corn-factors afterwards increased so much, that they erected a market in Mark Lane, which is called the Corn Exchange. The building, with which two coffee-houses are connected, is of the Boric order; and the quadrangle, where the samples of grain are exhibited, is capacious. The brokers at first wished to render the Corn Exchange a private market; but on an application to parliament, it was thrown open. Auxiliary to this market is a much neater though smaller structure, called “The New Exchange for Corn and Seed.”
Excerpt from London Volume 3 1824 by Sholto and Reuben Percy – Brothers of the Benedictine Monastery
Further reading and external links